We are Thorntons Ltd, and our Head Office is 889 Greenford Road, Greenford, England UB6 0HE. For the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998 we are known as a Data Controller. We take our obligations as a Data Controller seriously and below you can find out more about how we look after your personal data. For more information on the Data Protection Act 1998 you can visit the Information Commissioner’s website.
All our contact details can be found on our website at https://www.thorntons.co.uk.
COLLECTION OF PERSONAL AND NON-PERSONAL INFORMATION
We collect and store certain personally identifiable information about you (such as, information which may identify you in some way; such as your name, address, telephone number, email address, screen name and/or financial information) (“PII”) through the Site only when you voluntarily submit it. We may request that you submit PII in certain instances, such as when you purchase products and services offered by us on this Site, submit comments or questions, request information, participate in a promotion, contest or sweepstakes or utilize other features or functions of this Site.
Moreover, when you connect to the Site, there is certain PII (e.g. IP address, purchase preferences, profiling features) that may include identifiers that may permit us to serve tailored ads to your device, along with technical, non-personally identifiable information which does not identify any individual (“Non-PII”, e.g. internet browser type) that may be collected and stored through the use of “cookie” technology. In addition, other parties such as advertising partners and analytics providers may collect information about your online activity over time and across the Sites. This information assists us to develop our business and provide customers with products tailored to visitors’ needs You may set your computer browser to disable cookies or to alert you when cookies are being sent. If you disable cookies, we may be unable to optimize your visit to a Site and certain features on the Site may not be available.
Use of Your PII
- To respond to your questions and comments; to provide you with access to certain areas and features on a Site; and to communicate with you about your activities on a Site.
- To fulfill your requests.
- To investigate suspected fraud, harassment, physical threats, or other violations of any law, rule or regulation, the rules or policies of a Site, or the rights of third parties; or to investigate any suspected conduct which we deem improper.
- To the extent that you provide us with financial information (such as credit card or bank account numbers) in connection with shopping or commercial services offered on a Site, we may use the financial information that you provide to fulfill your order.
- To help us develop, deliver and improve our products, services, content and advertising.
- To share with our parent, subsidiary, and affiliated companies, and promotional partners involved in creating, producing, delivering, or maintaining a Site, as required to perform functions on our behalf in connection with the Site (such as administration of the Site, administration of promotions or other features on the Site, marketing, data analysis, and customer services).In order to share such information, it may be necessary for us to transmit your PII outside the jurisdiction set forth below and you agree to this transfer. Further use or disclosure of PII by these parties for other purposes is not permitted.
- To share with third party service providers whom we employ to perform functions on our behalf in connection with the Site (such functions may include, but are not limited to, order fulfillment, delivering packages, sending postal mail and e-mail, removing repetitive information from customer lists, analyzing data and providing marketing assistance, processing credit card payments, and providing customer service). These third party service providers have access to PII that is needed to perform their functions, and may collect or store PII as part of their performance of these functions, but are not authorized to use it for other purposes.
- For our internal purposes such as auditing, data analysis, and research to improve our products, services and customer communications.
- For other purposes as disclosed when your PII is collected or in any additional terms and conditions applicable to a particular feature of a Site.
- For disclosures required by law, regulation, or court order.
- For the purpose of or in connection with legal proceedings or necessary for establishing, defending, or exercising legal rights.
- In an emergency to protect the health or safety of users of a Site or the general public, or in the interests of national security.
Except as provided for herein, we will not provide any of your PII to any third parties without your specific consent.
MANAGING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
You have the ultimate control over the PII that we collect and use. You can always choose not to provide certain PII, but please keep in mind that you may not be able to use some of the features offered by a Site unless you provide us with your PII (e.g., we will not be able to fulfill your order without certain PII).
If you wish to verify, update, cancel or correct any of your PII collected through a Site, please contact us by post or by phone.
SHARING OF INFORMATION
The Site does not share, sell, or rent personally identifiable information with independent companies for their own use without providing you a choice. Personally identifiable information that you provide to us in the course of using our site features or requesting a product or service through this website may be gathered and stored in one or more of our corporate databases.
This Site may share personally identifiable information with subcontractors (e.g. cloud service providers). Subcontractors are restricted from using this data in any other way other than to provide these services to Thorntons and they may not share or resell this data.
Site metrics for this site may be shared with other Thorntons websites or subsidiaries or affiliates. The information shared will be aggregate data and will not include any of your personally identifiable information.
This site will disclose your personally identifiable information, without notice, only if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to: (a) conform to the edicts of the law or comply with legal process served on Thorntons; (b) protect and defend the rights or property of Thorntons and this site; or, (c) act under exigent circumstances to protect the personal safety of users of Thorntons, its web sites, or the public.
PROTECTION OF CHILDREN’S PRIVACY
Thorntons takes the protection of children’s privacy seriously. We operate the Sites in compliance with all applicable laws in the jurisdiction set forth below. We do not collect PII from any person under the age of thirteen (13). Children under thirteen (13) years of age should have a parent/ guardian’s consent before providing any personal information to a Site. If we determine upon collection that a user is under this age, we will not use or maintain his/her personal information without his/her parent/guardian’s consent. Without such consent, though, the child may not be able to participate in certain activities.
SECURITY PRACTICES – RETENTION OF DATA
The security of your PII is very important to us. We have put in place reasonable physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard the information we collect. However, due to the inherent open nature of the Internet, we cannot guarantee that communications between you and us or information stored on a Site or our servers will be completely free from unauthorized access by third parties, such as hackers. Your use of a Site demonstrates your assumption of this risk. To the fullest extent permitted by law, we disclaim all liability and responsibility for any damages (including, but not limited to, any and all direct, special, indirect, consequential, or punitive loss or other damages of any kind, whether in contract (including fundamental breach), tort (including negligence), or otherwise) that you may suffer due to any loss, unauthorized access, misuse, or alteration of any information you submit to a Site. We retain information that we collect as long as it is necessary and relevant for the purposes of collection unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law.
TRANSFER OF ASSETS
During the course of our business, we may sell or purchase assets. If another entity acquires Thorntons or all or substantially all of our assets, PII and Non-PII that we have collected about the users of the Sites may be transferred to such entity. Also, if any bankruptcy or reorganization proceeding is brought by or against us, such information may be considered an asset of ours and may be sold or transferred to third parties.
Terms & Conditions
- By entering this prize draw, entrants agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions governing this promotion and by any other requirements set out in related promotional materials.
- Entry is open to UK and Republic of Ireland residents only aged 18 and over with the exception of employees of the Promoter or anyone else associated with the administration of this promotion.
- The promotion will begin at 9am on 11th August 2019 and closes at 9pm on 2nd September 2019 (“Promotion Period”).
- Entrants can enter only once. No purchase necessary.
- To enter: fill in the competition entry form and hand in to a member of staff at the Liverpool store OR complete the entry form online at liverpoolthorntons.co.uk
- Prizes: There is one main prize available to be won consisting of a Thorntons hamper worth £50 and five runner’s up prizes consisting of a box of Thorntons Continental 284g.
- The winner of the Main Prize will receive a hamper upto the value of £50 in total. They will need to notify the Promoter which products they would like in their hamper and can choose to have the hamper delivered by courier or they can collect from the store.
- Prizes will be awarded to the winners when the store reopens on 10th September 2019
- Runner’s up prize winners will need to collect their prizes from the store.
- The winners will be selected at random from all valid entries received, under independent supervision. The winners will be notified by email or phone to the contact details provided on the entry form by 6th September 2019, after the store reopens. The winner will then have 7 days to respond to confirm acceptance of the prize, if a winner does not respond to the Promoter within this time, they will forfeit their prize and the Promoter shall select another winner at random from all remaining valid entries.
- Proof of identity may be required before the prize is awarded to the winner.
- The Promoter’s decision is final and binding in all matters and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The Promoter accepts no responsibility for late, incomplete, incorrectly submitted, corrupted or misdirected entries, claims or correspondence whether due to error, omission, alteration, tampering, deletion, theft, destruction, transmission interruption, communications failure or otherwise.
- All winners must, at the Promoter’s request, participate in reasonable promotional activity (such as publicity and photography) surrounding the winning of the prize, free of charge, and they consent to the Promoter using their name and images in promotional material.
- The Promoter and its associated agencies and companies will not be liable for any loss (including, without limitation, indirect, special or consequential loss or loss of profits), expense or damage which is suffered or sustained (whether or not arising from any person’s negligence) in connection with this promotion or accepting or using the prize (including to any guests), except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law (including personal injury, death and fraud) in which case that liability is limited to the minimum allowable by law.
- The prizes are not transferable or exchangeable and cannot be redeemed for cash or any other form of compensation, this also includes the selling of prizes to third parties. In the event for any reason the prize winners do not take an element of the prize at the time stipulated by the Promoter, then that element of the prize will be forfeited by the winners and neither cash nor any other form of compensation will be supplied in lieu of that element of the prize. If for any reason a prize is not available, the Promoter reserves the right to substitute another prize for it, in its sole discretion, of equal or higher value.
- If for any reason any aspect of this promotion is not capable of running as planned, including by reason of infection by computer virus, network failure, bugs, tampering, unauthorised intervention, fraud, technical failures or any cause beyond the control of the Promoter which corrupts or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this promotion, the Promoter may in its sole discretion cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the promotion, or invalidate any affected entries.
- The Promoter accepts no responsibility for any damage, loss, liabilities, injury or disappointment incurred or suffered by you as a result of entering the promotion or accepting the prize. The Promoter further disclaims liability for any injury or damage to your or any other person's computer relating to or resulting from participation in or downloading any materials in connection with this promotion.
- The Promoter reserves the right at any time and from time to time to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, this promotion with or without prior notice due to reasons outside its control (including, without limitation, in the case of anticipated, suspected or actual fraud). The decision of the Promoter in all matters under its control is final and binding and no correspondence will be entered into.
- If a winning entry from a draw is deemed not to comply with these conditions of entry, the entry will be discarded and a new winner of the prize will be randomly selected.
- The Promoter reserves the right to publish the names and counties of residence of the winner(s).
- The names of the winners may be obtained by writing to Thorntons Contact Center, Thorntons Park, Alfreton, Derbyshire DE55 4XJ up to one month after the Closing Date.
- These terms and conditions are governed by English Law and shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts.
- If you would like a written copy of these full Terms and Conditions, please write to: Thorntons Contact Center, Thorntons Park, Alfreton, Derbyshire DE55 4XJ
- By entering this Promotion you give the Promoter and its agencies your consent to process your personal data for the purpose of conducting this promotion only. The Promoter may disclose winners’ personal information to its contractors and agents to assist in conducting this promotion, fulfilling the prize or communicating with entrants. Any personal data the Promoter or its agencies obtains in relation to the entrants of the Promotion, shall only be kept for a period of three months following the end of the Promotion, following this time it shall be deleted or destroyed. Any personal data relating to the winner shall only be kept for a period of 18 months following the end of the Promotion for fulfilment of the prize, after which time it shall be deleted or destroyed
- Data Controller: Thorntons Limited, 889 Greenford Road, Greenford, Middlesex UB6 0HE.
- Promoter: Thorntons Limited, 889 Greenford Road, Greenford, Middlesex UB6 0HE.